Saturday, September 22, 2007

Fall weather has left, but I still want soup!


While last week held the promise of fall, this week temperatures soared into the low 90s. Though it certainly was not fall weather, I had soup on the menu and gosh darn it, I was going to make it. I'm glad I did because it was delicious, but it sure did heat up the kitchen! I didn't make any changes, but I did use skim milk instead of 2% because that was I had. If I make it again, I would add a little more cheese plus just a little bit of salt. I thought it was a little bland; surprising, since there is half a pound of cheese. Very tasty, though!


Baked Potato and Broccoli Cheese Soup
from Southern Living (found on Julie's blog)



1/4 c flour
2 (14 1/4-oz) cans low-sodium fat-free chicken broth, divided
3 c peeled, cubed potato (about 1 1/4 lbs)
2 c broccoli florets, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 1/4 c 2% reduced-fat milk (I used skim)
1 (8-oz) block 2% reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
7 t shredded 2% reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
7 t fully cooked bacon pieces (I used turkey bacon)
7 t chopped green onions

Whisk together flour and 1/3 c chicken broth until smooth. Combine remaining chicken broth and next 3 ingredients in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Gradually stir in flour mixture. Cook, stirring often, 5 minutes. Stir in milk and 8 ounces shredded cheese. Cook mixture over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until cheese melts. Top each serving of soup with 1 teaspoon cheese, 1 teaspoon bacon pieces, and 1 teaspoon chopped green onions.

1 comment:

Renea said...

Yum!! That is all I can say. :)