Friday, November 2, 2007

Pumpkin Bread


Of all the things I have cooked or baked, this is by far the most intimidating. My mother-in-law is practically famous for her pumpkin bread and Matt absolutely loves it. She bakes it in a coffee can and it is always super moist and really yummy. We had some pumpkin muffins at my parents house this past Sunday and he mentioned he wanted pumpkin bread. My mother gave me two cans from her pumpkin stash and that was that. Matt would get his pumpkin bread.

I looked at a few different recipes, trying to find one that looked good, but was also a little different from my mother-in-law's. I settled on this one, which I found on Deborah's blog. It used applesauce instead of oil, which also appealed, since all this recent baking has made my pants shrink a little. It was a good bread, but Matt still prefers his moms. He called it a pumpkin cake instead of a pumpkin bread and claimed the pumpkin flavor didn't shine. Every one's a critic. I guess I'll keep looking for a recipe that compares.


Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread

2 c granulated sugar
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
3 eggs
1 c applesauce
1/4 c water
2 1/2 c flour
2 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t ground nutmeg
1 1/4 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 c mini semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9"x5"x3" loaf pans. (I halved the recipe since I only have one loaf pan.) In a large mixing bowl beat sugar, pumpkin, eggs, applesauce and water until well combined. In a medium mixing bowl combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture until just combined - do not overmix. Fold in chocolate chips. Pour evenly into prepared loaf pans and bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of bread comes out clean.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

I've got a great pumpkin bread recipe. The girls here at work LOVE it. I made a recipe blog, so you can find it here... (I've also got a great zucchini bread recipe)

meredithsrecipes.blogspot.com

Oh, and I usually use half applesauce and half oil, instead of all the oil that it calls for.