Thursday, August 16, 2007

Taco Salad


To be honest, the recipe inspiration came from a kraft recipe, but I made so many modifications I'm going to go ahead and call it my own. However, in an effort to credit sources (however slight the similarities), the original recipe was Taco Salad Made Over. Matt gave it two thumbs up and the best part was that it took less than 20 minutes to get the dinner to the table.
I should also add the tomatoes were grown fresh by my hubby. They were so good and way better than the last few I bought at the grocery store. Yay for fresh produce!


Taco Salad

4 flour tortillas
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 T cumin
1/2 T chili powder
1/2 c salsa
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
shredded romaine
shredded cheddar
sour cream (I used reduced fat)
chopped tomatoes

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Crumple 4 sheets of foil into a ball and place on baking sheet. Place tortillas over the balls, spray with cooking spray and bake for 6 min or until light browned. Meanwhile, brown ground beef with spices. When browned, stir in salsa and black beans.

In each tortilla bowl, pile up salad greens and top with the beef mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and tomatoes and top with a dollop of sour cream.

I served with rice. This time I used beef broth instead of chicken broth and I liked the interesting flavor. It worked well with the mexican vibe of the dinner.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I have made something similiar... it is VERY tasty!

Renea said...

I love taco salad. Always a winner!